As you know, this month’s Island Batik challenge is to make a star quilt. The challenge is called Starstruck.
I’ve been working on the challenge since early in the month. First, I created a design, then I calculated the yardage to see if I could make my quilt. I wanted to use the layer cake of Paisley Dot that I got in my recent shipment from Island Batik, but I wasn’t sure if it would be enough.
It was enough, but just barely. Last week I cut my fabrics and started making the four-patch units. This week I made the flying geese, using the No Waste Method.
As you can see, this is going to be a very scrappy quilt!
Along the way there have been little challenges. Like when I miscut a few squares and had to substitute a bit of yardage from another collection. And when I sewed the second side of the flying geese before pressing the first side, trapping first side down. That resulted in some unsewing, resewing, and pressing again. Ugh. It seems this quilt just doesn’t want to be made!
It will get made however, and before the end of the month. So stay tuned!