Welcome! I hope you enjoyed making Blocks 1 and 2 in the I Wish You a Merry Quilt Along.
If you are just joining us, you can find everything you need to know here.
For my blocks, I’m using the Shiny Objects in Holiday Twinkle collection by flaurie & finch for RJR Fabrics.
Block 3 in our quilt along was designed by Laura @ Slice of Pi Quilts and it’s called Santa’s Belt. Here’s my version.
I love the simplicity of this block! With just a few strokes, Laura created an undeniable image of Santa Claus. That’s the sign of a great design.
From the Holiday Twinkle collection, I chose #2792-13 (Cranberry) for the block’s background. I love how it adds sparkle to Santa's suit! Since the Holiday Twinkle fabric collection did not include gold or black, I used scraps of gold and black from my stash for the belt. I really enjoyed making this block and love how it compliments the other blocks in the quilt along.
As a QAL host, I’m here to help you achieve success with this block. Frankly though, this block is so simple and the instructions so clear, I’m not sure I can come up with any tips, but I'll try.
- My first bit of advice with this block is to play, play! Its simplicity is its beauty. Have a party auditioning your fabrics, including bright shiny ones, faux-leather and faux-fur ones and just have fun!
- The instructions say to use silver/gold/yellow for the belt buckle. I almost used #3023-06 (Sugar) from the Holiday Twinkle collection for the belt, then I saw that gold fabric shining in my stash and used it instead. Still, I think the lighter buckle with it's tiny bits of gold would have looked lovely. Here’s what the Sugar fabric from the collection would have looked like in the block.
- Here's another tip. Me, I like trimming to make things the right size. With this pattern, you start by making Santa's belt buckle. After completing steps 1 and 2, you might want to square up the belt buckle to 4-1/2” exactly. (Squaring up your small units as you make a block helps you account for seam allowances that aren’t always perfect, like mine.)
- You construct this block vertically. So after creating the belt buckle and squaring it up, you add red rectangles to the top and bottom of it. Next, you sew the two side units which consist of a red rectangle, a black belt rectangle and another red rectangle. You make two of these and sew them onto the sides of the middle unit and you’re done! You can if you like, trim up these side units after making them, to 4-1/2" x 12-1/2".
- I always square up my blocks when I’m finished, which helps my quilts go together more smoothly. So I’d square up the block now, before you sew your blocks into a quilt top. Your block should measure 12-1/2” square.
There. I told you I couldn't really think of any tips for this great block. <grin> Be sure to drop by Laura’s blog to get your free block pattern. Also, don’t forget to visit the other quilt along hosts to see their versions of this block.
Abbie at Sparkle On
April at JANDA Bend Quilts
Becca at Pretty Piney
Bobbi at Snowy Days Quilting
Diane at Cwilt
Jennifer at The Inquiring Quilter
Karen at Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
Laura at Slice of Pi Quilts
Sandy at SandyStar Designs
Sherry at Powered by Quilting
Vanda at Quilt in Piece
Be sure to enter the giveaway!
By the way, there are two blocks this week, and two separate giveaways. To enter the Santa’s Belt block giveaway, you must make the block and post it in one of these three places by Monday, September 11th at 11:59 PM EST.
- On Instagram, with the hashtag #iwishyouamerrychristmasqal
- In our private Facebook group
- To the linky on Laura’s blog
If you post your Santa's Belt block by the deadline, you might win this wonderful prize package—a six month subscription to Make Modern Magazine and one PDF pattern of your choice from Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts.
Special offer from Make Modern magazine!
This block comes with a special offer for everyone! Make Modern is offering 25% off all single issues and bundles for all quilt along participants! The code is MerryQAL2017 and it expires March 1st, 2018. The discount gives 25% off bundles or single issue purchases only, The code does not work on subscriptions. Use the discount to purchase a few issues and if you fall in love as I did, subscribe through the regular channels.
Don't forget there are two blocks!
I mentioned earlier that there are two block patterns this week. You've just seen my version of Block 3 and learned where to go to get the pattern (in case you've already forgotten, you need to go to Laura @ Slice of Pi Quilts to get the Santa's Belt block pattern. <wink>)
Click here to view Block 4 and to download the pattern. Block 4 is called Christmas Memories and it's my design so you won’t have to go very far to get it! <wink>
If you happen to love giveaways, be sure to stop by my Wednesday Wait Loss. You can link up to three works in progress or recent finishes for a chance to win! Be sure to link up before midnight EST tonight to the current WWL. You can also come back tomorrow to my new Wednesday Wait Loss and link up three more projects for more chances to win.
On Tuesday, September 12th, be sure to come back here for the next block in our quilt along! You can follow me on social media or sign up for my newsletter if you’d like a reminder when the next block is posted. You’ll find all the ways to follow me at the top of my sidebar. If you have any general questions about the quilt along or would like to see the complete schedule, click the I Wish You a Merry QAL tab above.