I Wish You a Merry Quilt Along!
Welcome to my new quilt along!
This time it’s a mystery, and this time I’ve got help! Yes, me and a few of my New Quilt Bloggers besties (11 designers and 11 hosts) have put together a gorgeous Christmas quilt for you to sew up before Christmas.
Here is the schedule for the hop and the names of the designers for each block and when it'll be released. I'll update the links to direct you to the block pattern page for each block when it becomes active.
August 1 - Vanda at Quilt in Piece
August 15 - April at JANDA Bend Quilts
August 29 - Laura at Slice of Pi Quilts and Jennifer at Inquiring Quilter
September 12 - Sherry at Powered by Quilting
September 26 - Sandra at Sandra Healy Designs
October 10 - Sandy at SandyStar Designs and Sola at Alice Samuel's Quilt Company
October 24 - Bobbi at Snowy Days Quilting
November 7 - Diane at Cwilt
November 21 - Kathleen at Kathleen McMusing
December 5 - Laura at Slice of Pi Quilts
January 16th – Deadline for posting a completed quilt top for entry in the final grand prize drawing. Quilt does not need to be quilted although we’d love to see finished quilts!
So come to my blog every other Tuesday beginning August 1st to get your new block instructions. As your host, I’ll present my version of the new block, share my tips and suggestions for success, and link you to the block pattern for that week.
At the end of the quilt along you'll have six weeks to put your top together and hopefully get it quilted for the grand prize giveaway and show and tell party!
Ok I’m Sold. but i want company
- First, if you’re on Facebook, join our Facebook group. There you can ask questions, show off the fabrics you’ve chosen for each block, and get to know each other. When a block is made, you can post its photo to the Facebook group to enter our bi-weekly prize giveaways.
- If you’re on Instagram, search the hashtag #iwishyouamerryqal for inspiration for choosing colors for a block. When your block is made, you can post its photo to Instagram with the hashtag to enter our giveaways. Please follow me because I’ll be posting to Instagram and using the hashtag as well—I’m @inquiringquilter.
- Sign up for my newsletter so you don’t miss anything, or follow me in other ways. Just click the Blog tab above, and look to the right under my photo for the ways to follow.
- Don't worry; you don’t have to belong to Facebook or use Instagram to participate. Just drop by my blog every Tuesday beginning August 1st, and I'll provide the link to the designer's blog where you can link up your photo directly. You'll also find the link above, on this special I Wish You a Merry QAL page.
On my blog you can see how I've approached the block construction, get fabric inspiration, leave comments and questions, and basically find everything (including the link to the current block pattern) you need right here on my blog. If you get lost when you return to my blog, just click the Merry Quilt Along tab to return here and I'll have a link to the current block post.
What Fabrics Will I Need?
I’m going to make my quilt with these lovely fabrics, from the Shiny Objects with Holiday Twinkle collection by flaurie & finch for RJR Fabrics. I’m going to mix up my backgrounds a bit—some white, some red, some green so I'm not terribly worried about amounts but I estimate I’ll need about 1 to 1-1/2 yards total for my backgrounds.
You've got several options:
- You could raid your stash to make each block as the patterns come out
- You could pick a Christmasy fabric you just love, and pick out five or six fabrics that coordinate together. Buy 1/2 to 1 yard of each fabric, then add a few scraps here and there from your stash as needed.
- Since the blocks have a modern feel, you might want to consider solids in several colors or a few small scale fabrics that coordinate with your fabric Christmas fabric.
If you have a decent stash and you like variety, I honestly wouldn’t worry too much about fabrics right now. After all, that’s the fun of a mystery quilt!
Now, about finishing your quilt. You can set your blocks however you like, with or without sashing, on-point, or with alternate pieced or non-pieced blocks. Since you know the finished size of the blocks (12”) and their number (12) you could start playing with setting options now, then get enough backing, sashing (if any) and binding for that. Or you could just chill. I’ll be presenting several ideas for settings after the last block is presented and hopefully these suggestions will spark the perfect ending for your Christmas mystery quilt.
Tell me how to win!
We will award a prize every two weeks to the lucky quilter who finishes the current block and posts it to our Facebook group, Instagram (with the hashtag #iwishyouamerryqal, or to the link up on the block designer's blog. Come back here every two weeks on a Tuesday, pick up the new block instructions, make your block, and post a photo before the next block comes out. That’s how you get entered in the prize giveaways.
Share the news!
The more people who participate in our quilt along, the more fun it will be! So please invite your friends to our quilt along by posting our quilt along button to Facebook, Instagram, and elsewhere, along with a link to this page so your friends can read all about it and get ready to quilt along with us. To save the button to your computer, right click it and choose Save Picture As.
Here's the link to this page that you can also copy and share.
If you’re a blogger, please share the news on your blog and put the button in your sidebar. Here’s the code you’ll need to do that.